Sunday, September 9, 2007

Racin' and Chasin'

9/8/07- First race of the season.

Conditions: Fairly hot, fairly humid, medium breeze from ocean.

Course: Constant gradual elevation change, mix of dirt, grass, and pavement. Moderate hilliness (somewhere between la Mirada and chino) .

Splits:

1: 6:00

2: 13:09 (possibly wrong)

3: 20:10

4: Unknow

5: 33:30

Well it was a PR but it felt quite slow. I went through the first mile with Steve. It was quite comfortable, and I thought my pace was sustainable. The 2nd mile was substantially more hilly than the first, and while I approached and passed slightly into the oxygen debt right at 2 miles at the top, I couldn’t push too well on the downhill and after the next hill, I wasn’t able to achieve the pace of my first two miles. After this point, despite better than normal efforts to push back to the original pace, my body just could not respond. On my 2nd to last lap, Dave passed me on his final and I was able to pick it up but this was not sustainable. Running with the two chapman guys really helped me to push while to catch them and made me feel as though I was racing. We did get into this unfortunate mentality of ‘just getting through it together’ and tended to fall of pace a bit. Overall an okay first race, so long as the legs come around and I can get them to respond during the latter portions of the race. Also Anton is awesome.

Miles:8

5 comments:

Markkimarkkonnen said...

congrats on the PR in the first race of the year. yes, you probably can use more work on pacing, but this will come with more fitness and more experience.

also, i think the most-beneficial workout for you would be tempo runs, anywhere from 20-45 minutes at a hard pace. (3 miles in 20 to 21 minutes or 5 miles in 35 to 36 minutes would be appropriate for you, based on that race). these sorts of workouts will build your aerobic fitness better than hard sets of intervals, and also help you mentally prepare for the long, continuous effort of a race.

you have to do scott's workouts, of course, but you can still incorporate this sort of training by backing off a bit on the tuesday repeats, and really putting your best effort into 3on/2off type efforts at Lacy, keeping the off periods at a strong effort, so that it is almost like a straight-through tempo.

Sarab said...

my experience/reflection agrees with this point
"yes, you probably can use more work on pacing, but this will come with more fitness and more experience."

i am doing science and paranoia classes right now: chem 1, calc 1, programming 1, stat 1

they are pretty competitive and not at all what i am used to, so i stopped running almost to a complete halt.

i'll see how i respond the that classes and work load, that being most important, if i manage it well, then i'll pick up running again, but i think even just a little running will help as a balancing act on a scale of academics and everything else

kangway said...

Wait, did I ever explain to you what "Racin' and Chasin'" was about?

Markkimarkkonnen said...

bored of blogging?

kangway said...

UPDATE