Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Cycling Week 3

Mon 7/18/2011 - Off, other than biking to work. Legs not feeling that bad. Awesome Hmart trip for dinner, followed by a thorough bike wash and full readjustment of both derailuer cables and the brake cables. Rides like a dream upon a fluffy cloud of delight in an azure sky of velvet smoothness once more.
Miles: 0

Tues 7/19/2011 - A great LT workout at mystic river! Legs felt good so I decided to go for my workout today. 5 x 5 minutes with 5-7 recovery. Had no problems actually getting my HR up to the low 180s and maintaining that for the full 5 minutes, even on the 4th and 5th intervals. No cramps or anything. Legs must be starting to come around. 90 minutes.
Miles: 30

Weds 7/20/2011 - A nice easy ride to Lexington up the Minuteman trail. Starting to get warm, but still feeling good after yesterday. Time ?
Miles: 16

Thurs 7/21/2011 - Warm and humid. Maybe 90 when I left for my ride at 630. I have spent the last week doing autocad (well Autodesk inventor) drawings for my 2 Kelvin Dewar and 300K vacuum can for my experiment and I think I'm being driven ever so slightly mad by just measuring and drawing on the computer 8 hours a day with no breaks. I was going to try for a long ride today but it was hot and I got out of work late. Rode to Concord and back, actually feeling very good. The way out was warm and I took it easy-ish, but as I got to concord the sun had just set and I started feeling really good. The way back I was mustering some strength but managed to push to a HR of 155 by Minute Man NHP and as I came to Mass Ave I was easily doing 165-170 ( LT is ~175 as measured by Ian in a conconi test 6/2008). The whole way down Mass ave I was flying, hitting lights, feeling great, and suddenly I realized what this reminded me of. Lower Arroyo's. I haven't felt that feeling in at least a year. We would cruise down through South Pas, taking it easy for 4 miles. Once we hit the arroyo, which was slightly uphill, we'd pick it up a bit, and by the time we crested the hill at the west end of California at maybe 6 miles in, with all the hard work behind us and our legs fresh from taking Sunday off, we'd proceed to fly back along california for the last 2 miles with the sun setting and maybe a snowy Mt. Baldy in the distance. Sometimes we'd run way too fast (e.g. for me going 6:45 pace), but it didn't matter because we just felt great - endorphin high and all. This ride brought back glimpses of that feeling. It was great. 2hr, 5 min,
Miles: 33

Fri 7/22/2011 - I got back from TGIF late (it was a double header - first the Physics Dpt Happy Hr for Pizza, then the Chemistry Dpt. one for beer), so I rode the abbreviated Mystic River Pkwy loop. It was still 95 when I left but the humidity was only 25%. It felt like your average hot summer day in Pasadena. Ride felt good.
Miles: 15

Sat 7/23/2011 - Woke up early to thunderstorms, which I waited out until 10 am, then left for 5 Cutler - Boxborough ride. Only made it to West Acton, but I think I'm still just one leg shy of Harvard - Harvard! Felt good during the ride but started to get overheated on the way back. Quite humid from the thunderstorms earlier in the morning, but I still made it farther than ever, but also kept a decent HR the way back (t to Concord was maybe ~130, from then on ~150s). 3 hrs 20 min. I think I'm overstating my long ride mileage just a bit as this came out to be 52 miles. URL for this route is: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4666641
Miles: 52

No comments: