Sunday, July 22, 2007

I 'recover' 13 hours a day

7/17/07- Ran 7 miles from school, down to Bradley on CJ trail. Nice and chill. Mid 8s.

Miles: 7

7/18/07- Decided I would break out the ice bucket to help with the foot. Iced before I ran, felt much better. Did my first 10 miler since I don’t even know when, maybe a full arroyo around the beginning of track season, at least 6 months. Basically did yesterday’s run but when all the way down to river road, for 9.5 miles and then ½ mile cool down at school.

Total time: 1:22 for the 9.5. ß so pretty slow, exacerbated by steepness/technical nature of the trail. Felt gooooooood, relaxed the whole way, not too tired by the end, although on the cool down felt pretty drained. What can you expect from your first 10 miler in 6 months.

Avg HR 160

Max HR: 180 (final hill)

Avg temp 88

Max temp 92 ß this was a hot and sticky one

Calories: 1452 ß oh yeah

Miles: 10.5

7/19/07- I was planning for a easy run but Tarik called, and thus said idea promptly flew out the window. Ran extension of big jungle including lap at the campgrounds for a total of 8 miles at between about 7:20-7:45 pace. Started out fairly easy, surprisingly, and slowly picked it up. Was able to hold a good conversation for the first 4 miles, which, knowing Tarik, started out running related and ended up science related. After that, started pushing real hard on the climbs back up to the school. Every time I run with Tarik, I get a good workout. Unfortunately, I tend to be somewhat of a burden to him I feel, so I have to make sure I do it on his recovery days.

Miles: 8

7/20/07- Thanks to a cold front, the weather was very tolerable. I ran in the early afternoon with Ryan, nice and easy, big rectangle variation. Easy, but I didn’t feel too great… Mid 8s

Miles: 5.5

7/21/07- Ran extended big rectangle + small square. Very cool, dark. Good run. It took several miles to get into it, but after 6 or so, it settled in nicely. Some bad chaffing though hmmm. 7:50-8:00 pace

Miles: 8.5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kangway said...

Wow. You've been running good mileage.

One thing I'd suggest, you said you iced before you ran. Watch out for that, because it can make your tendons sort of tight (especially the achilles). Make sure you let your foot warm up for a while before you head out the door.

Garrett said...

Yeah thats a good point. I don't ice directly before I run, maybe like 2 hours before. I haven't been icing enough unfortunately. Most of the time I get back around 9 pm, have to have dinner, and then have precious little time to see friends, so icing gets put on hold. I think my foot could have been totally better by now if I had been icing religiously. Luckily, it's not getting worse at all.

Its tough running here. Its 95 degrees everyday, 80% humidity, and the only place where there is not pavement is on the packed dirt trails in the stream valleys, where it literally looks and feels like a jungle. I swear onetime I came out the stream valley and was covered with a layer that wasn't really sweat, it was goo, had many bugs and even some spider webs stuck in it.

Megumi said...

try having a bucket of ice under the table while you're eating dinner. the post run icing is the most crucial!